A fresh and cleansing soup to highlight the mild, sweet scape! Perfect for the spring when our bodies could use something fresh and seasonal.
- 2 tablespoons ghee or extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 dozen garlic scapes, chopped, flower buds discarded
- 3 large potatoes – not peeled – cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 2 large handfuls spinach leaves – remove the stems
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon – fine grain salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add the scapes and sauté for 2 minutes.
Add the potatoes and stock, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Remove from the heat. Add the spinach and puree with an immersion blender or an upright blender (covering the top with a kitchen towel to absorb the heat and prevent mishaps!) be careful not to burn yourself! Season with the lemon juice, salt and pepper — don’t skimp on seasoning, make sure to season thoroughly so the flavors shine!
- Serve with a dollop of creme fraiche, chevre, or sour cream and a drizzle of olive oil. Herbs, chive blossoms, and extra black pepper make for a pretty presentation!
Serves 4 to 6